HOOVER-WILSON-On Oct. l2, l858 the United States government
granted (320) acres to the state of California for the purpose
of homesteading. This acreage was located east of Yager Creek
and north of the Van Duzen River. It was unique mixture of pristine
redwood forest and prime agricultural land. It wasn't to last
long. On November 4, l958 Samuel Hoover and his wife Laura Mariah
filed with the state of California Land Office at Sacramento
for a 160 acre of this tract of land. It was approved on Nov.
24, l858 and fully paid for by May 8, l860. This tract of land
was the site of the lst settlers of what would become known as
S. Hoover and his wife spent the next years carving their niche
in the valley and were the only settlers east of Yager Creek.
They raised 2 children, Emila and Samuel L.. As was the case
with all the early settlers, times were hard and dangerous.
May of l86l, Samuel Hoover died and bequeathed one-half of his
160 estate which was at that time valued at $1500 and his
personal property to his wife and the other half to his two children,
Ameleia, age 6, and Samuel L., who was 3 years old. Laura Mariah
Hoover became the administratrix of the Hoover estate as the
children were too young to administer their own holdings.
of l862, Laura M. married and friend and neighbor, Peter Donnelly.
Donnelly was an early Hydesville settler who owned
a homestead on Yager Creek, close to the Cooper Mill's Ranch.
By law, women were not at this time, allowed to own property
unless widowed. By reason of her intermarriage with Peter Donnelly,
Laura M. (Hoover) Donnelly was rendered incompetent to complete
the adminstration of her late husband's estate and petitioned
to have her new husband, Peter, be appointed administrator on
Feb. l0, l863.
For obscure reasons, in early l866, Peter Donnelly
left the area for parts unknown, and he and Laura M. were divorced.
of that year Laura applied with the State Land Office for a patent
on the l60 acre Hoover Homestead. Because of the suspicious disappearance
of Peter Donnelly, it would not be until l878, l2 years later,
that the patent was issued. By April 3, l867, Laura M. (Hoover)
Connellly has petitioned for and been ordered adminstartix of
her late husband's estate, but on May 28. l867, Laura M. petitions
the court to release her from the duties of administratix and
to appoint Glock Hills, attorney for her two young children as
During this process, the court with Judge J.E. Wyman,
presideing, it is revealed that there is in excess of $700 of
and property missing. On February l0, l868 the court issues a
citation to Peter Donnelly directing him to appear in court March
2, l968 and to render all account of all money and property belonging
to the estate of the late Samuel Hoover.
lifetime, Laura deeded land to the California Midland Railroad
and to Helen
Reynolds. Laura donated a lot to First Baptist Church and the
first church was built next to the present day Fischer's house.
It was torn
down in late 1960. Emil Paul Gundlach was a visiting preacher
to this church back in the 1920's.
By March of l868, the accounts
of Peter Connelly were settled and John G. Wilson and Laura were
married. John is named legal
guardian of Laura's children, Emila and Samuel L. by the courts.
John and Laura had another son named William S. Wilson John and
Laura had another son named William S. Wilson.
October 13 a county agricultural society formed in Hydesville.
composed of citizens interested in the progress of agriculture,
the mechanical arts and their development and material resources
of Humboldt County. (Coy pg. 310). It's purposes were being developed
by means of annual meetings and fairs.
1870-Yagerville- area we now know as Carlotta, primarily around the mouth
Creek. Three men had a shingle mill in
the Yager Creek area. It is believed that as the number of employees
grew at the mill, the collection of shacks became known first
as Yager Camp, then as "Yagerville". In late years,
the mill site grew as John M.Vance started developing his resort
and hotel. Yagerville was then to become known as Carlotta, named
after his daughter.
about l850 to l875 a road(trail) servedf the area and entry
was gained by
a grueling stage or wagon ride
up the alluvial
plain of the Van Duzen and Yager Creek drainages to the rideges
of Bridgeville and beyond. Aas Eureka prospered in regards to
outfitting of miners headed for the interior and by utilization
of the redwood resource growing the in the "backyards" of
Hydesville and Carlotta(the town had no name- it was just a wide
spot on the trail at this time) slowly gained importance as a
stopping point at the confluence of the Van Duzen and Yager Creek
water courses. As the railroads grew up in the direction of John
Vance in Eureka the tide of civilization slowly ebbed towards
the area of Carlotta.(reported by C. Kellogg)