School Address
Home
Board of Trustees/Agendas
Peninsula School District Staff
Peninsula School District SARC
Peninsula School District Annual Calendars
Map to Peninsula School
Peninsula School District History
Humboldt County Office of Education


School Bus Schedule
Bus Schedule

Local Control & Accountability Plan (LCAP)

Local Education
Agency Plan (LEA)

Parental Notice Regarding Program Improvement Status

EPA Report

EIA Report

Wellness Policy

Uniform Complaint Procedures
• Classroom Notice
• Complaint Form
• BP 1312.3
• AR 1312.4

Internet Use
Terms and Conditions

School Breakfast Program

My CalSTRS



The North Peninsula is a long sandy stretch of land between nine and ten miles long and about a mile wide. It is rich with history and was once considered to be the jewel of Humboldt County. Long before the first white man settled Humboldt County the Wiyot Indian tribe had established a large village on one of the large islands in the Humboldt Bay on the east side of the peninsula. This tranquil setting afforded the Indians all of their needs. Rich with wildlife, with abundant building material nearby, they lived in harmony with nature for centuries. But with the coming of the white man and the inevitable tensions which broke out as more and more people poured into the area, friction between the Indians and settlers occurred and most of the Indians were killed or transplanted to other locations in California. Today Indian artifacts are still being found on the the beaches and islands surrounding Humboldt Bay. Early settlers recognized the importance of the peninsula and the deep water channels for shipping and establish shipping and lumbering centers along its shores. From the earliest days of the settlers it has been an important industrial site within Humboldt County.

Today the primary industry on the peninsula is lumber and pulp manufacturing. Simpson Lumber Company employees most of the residence of the town of Samoa, which is one of the last "company owned towns" in the United States. Simpson also serves as a valued partner in the education of the students in the area, helping to sponsor many events which contribute to the academic program of the children.
The Samoa Cookhouse is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. Established as the Hammond Lumber Company Cookhouse around 1905, it served as an eating facility for the many employees of the lumber mills in the area. Today, owned by the Simpson Lumber Company, it serves delicious meals in the traditional," family style", format for which it was so well known.
Today tourists from all over the world come to Samoa to eat at the cookhouse and enjoy the delicious food and friendly family atmosphere.
In this photo we can see the Samoa Post Office. It is one of the oldest building in the town of Samoa, dating back over 100 years. It has been in continuous service since 1894, serving the postal needs of the community.
The Hostelry, one of the first buildings in Samoa, originally served as the home of Leonard C. Hammond, pioneer lumber baron of the region.
Today it accommodates visiting Simpson Company corporate heads and their families when they visit the peninsula.
The waters of the Pacific, which lie directly west of the peninsula have proven treacherous for many sailing ships and have claimed them for "Davey Jone's Locker" In this series of photos we can see the USS Milwaukee stranded on the shores opposite Samoa.

The USS Milwaukee, while trying to save the U.S.S. Submarine H3, on January 3, 1917, ran aground and could not be salvaged. Remnants of the ship can still be viewed at low tide.

CAPTION:
Josephine Lindstrom Collection
The cruiser the U.S.S. Milwaukee and the pier built to salvage valuable equipment. Later the residents were allowed to board the vessel to retrieve souvenirs.